Sunday, July 25, 2021

Happy Birthday, Julie Zickefoose!!!

In my family, the written word has always been a prominent love language. Every year since I was 10, my mom has dutifully crafted a celebratory blogpost on my birthday--a couple of weeks ago, she published the 15th! Some are poetic while others are more of a narrative, and all include a highlight reel of photos that sum up my recent history. Anyone who has me mixed into their Facebook algorithm has probably seen them. Liam gets them, too, as did my dad and our first dog Chet Baker (Curtis usually gets a gotcha-day post). So I'm not sure why it's taken so long to strike me that I would like to write a birthday blogpost for my mom. I'm drafting this post on the actual day of her birth, July 24th, but given my ~creative process~ it probably won't see the light of day until it's a bit belated. But good things take time, like the pot roasts and fruit crisps and chicken pot pies she puts in the oven. Since I moved away, I've been trying like hell to recreate her meals, so I know how it works. 

Simply put, I am so proud of my mom. I've always been proud of her, but the feeling has expanded even more these past few years. One of her main fears around my dad's passing was no longer having someone around to do the big land maintenance tasks he'd always (albeit infrequently) done, like weed whacking and mowing the fields with the big tractor. With me living elsewhere and Liam at college, she was essentially alone with our property. If only she could have seen herself now! She has fearlessly figured everything out and tackled the biggest projects of her life on that land, pruning and planting and mowing and growing with a keen eye for beauty and the utmost respect for native wildlife. She has made great connections with local landscapers and Amish roofers (who she also sometimes hires to hop on the tractor), and taught herself how to weed whack. She spent months doggedly heading out every day with hedge trimmers and eventually freed our overgrown orchard from the multiflora rose and grapevines strangling it. She has reclaimed and maintained all of the trails on our land that had been grown over for years. She completely cleaned out and reorganized our basement and garage, which both formerly looked like portals to hell. And now that all the refuse is gone, my favorite part has been watching her dream up and indulge in small but significant aesthetic improvements; namely her new patio. I know she's made my dad so proud with this--he would always sit in the yard with a beer on summer evenings and dream up ideas just like that one. 


Grilling surprise steaks for my birthday after she cleaned the cobwebs off of my dad's old gas grill and taught herself how to use it. I honestly never thought I would taste that again. (And before you ask, Liam's tattoo is temporary!)

Just a few of the dogwoods freed

While undertaking everything listed above, my mom also continued her life's work of supporting and documenting all of the wildlife around her. All by herself, she creates a bastion for birds, bugs, plants, animals, and everything in between. Within her considerable sphere of influence, baby bluebirds don't starve when there's a late spring cold snap. Monarchs, fritillaries, skippers, and swallowtails have ample butterfly weed and milkweed to sustain them. Rare and beautiful orchids thrive on what was once barren cow pasture. And bobcats have clawed their way back from near extermination, leading kittens down the well-maintained meadow paths each summer. My mom has stacks of journals filled with her observations of every kind of living creature, and can tell you things like exactly how many unique species of butterflies she's found on the property (77 with a new addition last week!) and the approximate arrival dates for any migrating bird. Through her actions and wisdom, she has shown me that one does not need to have a PhD in order to make meaningful and valid contributions to science. 


Showy Orchis on our land!

Painting by her, of course

The amazing thing is that most everything I've written so far will come as absolutely no surprise to anyone connected with my mom online. She's not only made these observations for herself--she has crafted them into alluring stories and shared them with the world through books, her blog, and social media (@juliezickefoose on Instagram if you're not already there). She has made the wonders of nature accessible to anyone willing to read. It recently hit me that when I marvel at how much she's taught me about the natural world, I have to multiply that by at least a few thousand to even begin to capture her influence in this world. In a time when the natural world needs well-informed allies more than ever, she has provided a spectacular and invaluable service. 

And of course, to top this all off, she is an absolutely incredible mother; the details of which I hold close to my heart sometimes. Being able to go home to her is my greatest privilege in this life and truly keeps me sane. She has taught me lessons and ways of being that will echo down through generations of our family to come. Every day I am a little more like her, and it's always something I'm thankful for. Because to be like her is to save the world. Happy birthday, mama. 


25 comments:

Julie Zickefoose said...

I KNEW IT! I could smell this one cooking all the way from NawthCalina!! Now I have to stop crieing! The best dotter anyone could dream of. Bawww!!

Michelle said...

She has taught you well, Grasshopper. 😍😍😍

Evelyn said...

She's beyond words. To have her as a mother has to be a treasure whose value is impossible to calculate.

Marie W. said...

I began reading your mother’s blog and following her on FB due to a mutual love of a certain Boston Terrier. I have marveled over, cried over. learned from and smiled over her posts ever since. Thank you for this tribute. We’re all lucky for her presence in this world.

Tricia said...

What a sweet post, Phoebe. Your mother sure has made your life interesting and I know it is very rewarding for her that you paid attention.

dguzman said...

Oh, Phoebe. You nailed it.

Kimb said...

It's such a joy to know your mother. And to know her children through her. Perfect post, Phoebe!

Sandy B said...

Love this ! I only know your Mom through social media ( although I had the privilege to meet her at a lecture-book signing of Saving Jemima)..I adore her artwork which I have a piece, and I so enjoy all she shares…and I have learned a lot from her , quite a remarkable woman you and your brother are so fortunate to have. Thanks for sharing .

Wayne, Ridgeley, WV said...

What a beautiful tribute. We had the privilege of being at your parents home during a Readers Rendezvous a few years back and the tuber roses that we came away with are about to bloom! And the Sheffield pink mums are thriving.
I know you have made her very proud.

Sue B. said...

This is absolutely beautiful!! You and your mom are so blessed.

Patrice said...

What a beautiful and articulate tribute that will make your Mom’s heart melt in pride and love. You do her proud.

Robin Mallery said...

The two of you, sisters of the heart, while at the same time living a shared, rich, mother-daughter life, have brought us all great joy in the vicarious love of your family. Liam is blessed to be surrounded by such a powerful and vulnerable, womanly presence in his own life; as we who "know" you in this online world. Happy BD Julie, and much admiration for you, Phoebe. xo

Briana said...

Phoebe, you also have this amazing gift of written word just like your amazing mother. I’m so so glad both of you blog and use Instagram. I’m sure your mother could not have been more proud of this post. ❤️❤️❤️

Unknown said...

Sweet, eloquent, and richly deserved! Well-done!

Weezie said...

To know her is to love her - she has so many facets that her light could be absolutely blinding, but instead it's highly enlightening.
I will be giggling for weeks at "portals to hell" and using that to goad myself to "Julie-fy" the portals in my life, bringing clarity, peace and light - as she does for us all. Thanks for this, Phoebe, hugs to you all and extras for that Curtis cur dog.

Deb51 said...

You summed up your mother beautifully, but she has so many talents such as her musical and vocal gifts, sarcasm and wit, empathy, and animal love, Her art would be enough to immortalize her. At the first Midwest Birding Symposium in Lakeside, I asked Bill if Julie could put on her own programs as well. She humbly said that she didn’t think she would draw enough interest�� The next Symposium, she packed the theater. You and Liam are blessed.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute! Thank you for saying so mucho of how I feel about her!

Minnie said...

What a privilege it is to read your birthday tribute to your mother and many of your other posts. Your family has taught me a lot over the last few years. Thank you. May you, Liam, Curtis, and Julie continue to thrive on this beautiful, struggling planet we share.

Kathy said...

Beautiful tribute!

E said...

Beautifully written post. We are so lucky to share her with you!

Lisa Hsia said...

Beautiful mother and daughter. You captured her perfectly Phoebe! Happy Birthday to the queen of naturalists (and everything else you cite)!❤️

queenbeehoney said...

Your Mom is the only person in the world that I’d trade lives with. She’s absolutely unique. As they say in Hamilton, “a top notch brain”.

KGMom said...

OK….wiping the tears from my eyes. No better or greater gift for a mother than to have her daughter write such a lovely paean to her. And you nailed it…

elizabird said...

We are all lucky to have your momma show us the beauty she sees, knows. and loves.

Sweetness is the fruit that doesn't fall far from the tree.

Hugs.

A. Marie said...

I'm late to the party here. But there could not have been a better tribute to your amazing mother, or a better daughter to have written it. Love to you both, and to Oscar, Liam, and Curtis.