Sunday, September 2, 2018

*freeze frame* *record scratch*

You're probably wondering how I got here. And by "here", I mean less than 48 hours from embarking on a multi-day journey across an ocean to settle on a tiny island where I will be charged with helping Spanish-speaking youth learn English.

Yeah, me too!


In mid-July 2017, I was living on Bowdoin's campus, soaking up my first Maine summer and working in the Office of Events & Summer Programs. I had no plans for the future, but at this point on the twenty-something timeline, that's okay! My roommate Nate (who bravely suggested this blog be named "Scooby Doo on Zombie Island") and I had started to have joint late-night panic sessions about our impending senior year and the idea that we soon had to make CAREER DECISIONS when neither one of us felt certain about a path. I had met with Career Planning a couple of times but couldn't seem to motivate myself to research consulting firms; Nate had been devoting his entire summer to an honors project that ended up being an incredible year-long labor of love (and hate?). We had heard through the grapevine multiple times that some of the other seniors on campus had arranged meetings with the Office of Student Fellowships & Research to begin applications for big name post-grad national fellowships: Marshall, Mitchell, Rhodes, Watson, Fulbright. On the morning of July 10th, I scrolled back through my inbox and found e-mails from the office sent in May encouraging us to make appointments before the end of the academic year to get the ball rolling. Oops. I booked the next appointment slot that worked for me--August 1st--and hoped no one would notice.

(I was easily distracted...)

Cindy Stocks noticed! That night, I had an email from the director of the office gently noting that August 1st was "a bit late" to get started, but that I could make up for lost time by reading through fellowship information and thinking about what I might be interested in doing. I don't remember all that much about how our first meeting went, but I know I came out of it feeling genuinely excited and like I just might have some direction. Cindy had taken my directionless rambling and distilled it into a plan, and before I knew it, I was applying for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship to northern Spain. It was the first time I could remember feeling like all of the pieces of my personality, passions, and aspirations fit together toward a common goal. There was no stretching the truth or highlighting one part of myself over another. Though it sounds incredibly cliché, this was something I felt like I was destined to do.

Those who have been close to a Fulbright applicant or who have applied themselves know that it is a LONG process. The typical timeline (at least for Bowdoin students) goes something like this:
  • End of junior year (April/May): Identify award type/country/angle & begin application
  • Summer before senior year: Draft essays
  • Early September: Submit initial application to advising office
  • Mid- to late-September: Interview with campus committee
  • Early October: Submit final application to advising office and resubmit to Fulbright after last-minute edits 
  • Late January: Receive notification about semi-finalist status; successful applications forwarded on to individual countries
  • Mid-March to April: Receive notification about finalist status

Looking back, maybe my late start set the tone for my experience, because my timeline broke the mold in January. I had been on the edge of my seat for several weeks, to the point where every notification on my phone made me jump. On Thursday, January 25th, Cindy sent all applicants an email to let us know semi-finalist decisions were on the way (a week later than normal), and would arrive before the end of the day on Friday. I decided I would go to the gym that afternoon to burn off nervous energy before 5 pm. This ended up being a poor idea--I almost fell off the treadmill at 7:20 mile pace when an email from Career Planning came in at 4:58 pm. 5 pm passed, as did 6 pm. Many of my friends had already received their notifications. I was a wreck, wandering around the quad in sub-freezing temperatures until my sweat froze, awaiting disaster. I returned to my dorm and drove my roommates crazy before exiling myself to my bedroom. I was just about to throw in the towel and go to dinner when the email came in.



After that, it was a good Friday night.

With the initial notification out of the way, I could relax for a bit. In fact, I almost forgot about Fulbright until mid-March, when the first of ~160 countries sent out finalist notifications. In the past several years, Spain had been in the front of the pack, notifying around March 15th. That day came and went with no news. In the interim, I had joined an online chat/support group full of speculation and stress, which served only to ramp up my anxiety each time I checked it. My worst fear was that I would log on and see Spain applicants celebrating long-awaited emails, only to switch tabs find a rejection lurking in my inbox.

By the time April rolled around, I was feeling fairly jaded. I realized that checking the applicants chat for news was largely a waste of time--one that I couldn't afford in the midst of senior spring. For the time being, I just decided to let it go and focus on school. This was increasingly difficult, though, because deadlines for summer internships and permanent jobs were looming, and I didn't want to expend a large amount of energy focusing on those when I still had a bid in another pool.

Despite my ironclad will, on the evening of Friday, April 9th, my worst nightmare (partially) came true. I was taking a brief break from reading about C3 and C4 photosynthesis (thanks, Phil!) and decided to quickly glance at the chat. The first thing I saw (before going blind from panic for a few moments) was a string of Spanish flag emojis and exclamation points. Multiple people were reporting finalist status for Spain. Others were posting about rejections. Shaking, I checked my email. Nothing. I checked my other email. Nothing. I checked both spam filters. N o t h i n g. I looked at the time stamps on their messages: the last one was posted around 7 pm. My clock read 11 pm. I fired off a hysterical email to Cindy and Kate, my other beloved advising guru, and then had to be forcibly calmed down by Nate. By the next morning, we had deduced that there were one or two remaining regions still making decisions, and rather than hold up the entire Spanish Fulbright program, they would announce later. Cindy said that based on previous years, it could easily be another 2-3 weeks. Way back in October, I had submitted my application with a preference noted for a rural school in either La Rioja or Asturias. The one common thread I could find among the handful of Spain applicants still waiting for notification was that we had all applied to these areas. But much to my dismay, these two regions had already notified their finalists. Technically, though, it appeared I was still in the running.

This meme reached peak popularity just when I needed it most <3
April came to a close with no news. I had long since given up the ghost and began applying to jobs in the US. I had several interviews lined up, and was beginning to envision my post-grad future in another way. I realized that mentally, I was dealing with Fulbright much like I would deal with a boy who had trouble committing: if it's meant to be, it'll be, but in the meantime, I'll pursue plan B.

I entered my last week of undergraduate classes with no decision to speak of. Only 1% of Fulbright semi-finalists were still waiting for news, and I was one of them. Early in the week, I received a strange email from the Spanish Fulbright Commission celebrating the fact that the country's program had been distinguished by King Felipe VI with the highest award of civil merit in Spain. I figured it was a glitch of some sort, or maybe even highly personalized spam, but the last line said "As a former grantee of this Commission, you have been part of this journey and therefore share this accomplishment." I shrugged, forwarded it to Cindy and Kate, and went on my way. Later that morning, Cindy sent me an email saying she thought it just might be good news. I ran upstairs from the dining hall to her office, where Kate joined us and we all cried. Well, I know I cried. Enough for all three of us. But after wiping my eyes, I resolved to treat it as if nothing had happened. After all, I still had no official decision in my inbox. And if life had taught me anything in the past year, it was to be patient.

For the next couple of days, I held my tongue and my breath. I am a chronic oversharer (which should already be obvious to you), so this was incredibly hard. On my final day of classes, May 9th, I suited up to go to the Giant Stairs (a natural stair-step basalt formation on Bailey's Island, ~20 minutes from Bowdoin) with my beloved Oceanography students for my last lab section as their TA. It was a blustery day, warm and sunny on campus but cool and gray on the coast. We climbed around on sedimentary rocks, admired tiny garnets and huge quartz intrusions, and watched the waves crash against the jagged coastline that had once been connected to Africa before Pangaea rifted apart.


Toward the end of the lab period, I was standing on the basalt pictured above, right next to Collin Roesler, professor of Oceanography, who had changed my life through her teaching and advising. I pulled out my phone to take a picture of the waves and foam, and right there on the screen was the email notification I had been waiting for since October 2017. I gasped, turned to Collin (who immediately knew what had happened and threw her arms around me) and burst into tears as our class cheered. In that utterly perfect moment, all of the stress and frustration evaporated. For this, it was all worth it.

Happy people...
...and my happy place.

After receiving my notification, I was deliriously happy. So much so that I almost forgot I had no idea where I had been placed! At the end of the next week, I received an email from the Commission that made my head spin: Instead of being placed in La Rioja or Asturias, I would be a part of Fulbright Spain's first year in the Canary Islands. At first, I panicked a little--I hadn't even remotely prepared myself for this possibility. But then, after some quick googling, everything began to make sense. These were volcanic islands where the people spoke Spanish... And I just so happened to be an Earth & Oceanographic Science/Hispanic Studies double major! I've researched and found thousands of other reasons to be excited, but I'm so close to arrival now that I might as well ground truth them before sharing. 


Image taken from PMF IAS
And thus the Canary Current was born! Thank you to my dad, namer of all things important, for the brilliant idea. One part eastern boundary current in the North Atlantic gyre, one part life update blog for friends and family who would like to follow the next 9 months of my life. If the lead up was any indication, it should be anything but usual. 

36 comments:

Julie Zickefoose said...


No comments?!?! NO COMMENTS?!?! We’ll see about that, Missy. See, here’s your first comment. And it’s from your mother, so it doesn’t count. Permission to let my beloved blogosphere know you’re writing about the Fulbright experience? You’ve always blown up my pageviews. The least I can do is send some eyeballs your way. Mighty fine storytelling here. I heartily approve of keeping a blog about your journey, which is going to be so beautiful and awesome. Now please start packing. Love, Mai

Creative Sigh said...

Hello Phoebe. We really don't know one another in person, but it has been a hit to know you through your mother's blog and it will be a joy to follow your experiences. Thanks.

Creative Sigh said...

"Hit" was suppose to be "joy" and I'm Connie Dale

Vickster said...

As a mother of a Peace Corps daughter who, only 4 weeks after graduating from OHio University, got married and 6 weeks after that left for 27 months in the Macedonia, I have experienced this fledging experience personally. Your blog posts will not only be a journal documenting your journey but also a virtual life-line to those who love and care so much for you and your success in life. Though we’ve never met, I am just one of your many cheerleaders. Go. Learn. Live. Love. — Vickster in OH

--K. said...

Another devoted follower of your Mom's blog, looking forward to following your experiences and seeing your own voice emerge. You are off to a good start!

Unknown said...

Hi Phoebe! Take it from a retired teacher, who spent 37 years teaching elementary aged students in northern Ohio, you will love teaching. If making a difference in our world is important to you then this teaching experience will forever change your life. Good luck on this amazing journey of yours! ~ Bill King

KGMom said...

Dear sweet Phoebe--I have the temerity to join in here, having long been a fan of your mother. I have met neither of you. BUT...there are many convergences in our lives. Suffice it to say, as I read your introductory blog entry, I was cast back in time to my own senior year in college...what to do, what to do. Nothing? So I went to grad school. But then as the close of that year approached, all over again--WHAT TO DO. Just then, I wrote a thank you letter to my favorite prof, and -- lo, & behold -- got a response inviting me to teach for one year at my alma mater. That year turned into 7 more.
So it begins.
As Robert Frost would say "knowing how way leads on to way..."
Much luck--and enjoyment to you. I look forward to reading more.

Unknown said...

Loved the plan B joke. Stay awesome Bibi

Unknown said...

Phoebe, I'm another of your mother's followers and have enjoyed watching (through her blog) you and Liam grow up. Loved this post which is so wonderfully well written and can't wait to follow you on this adventure.
Linda Edwards

Unknown said...

Fantastic tale, told well! I'm happy for you!! I will be excited to read on for your journey will be amazing. Best of luck to you. You set a good example! I wish there were alot more like you..You don't know me, but I see you occasionally with your Mom. Linda

Jayne said...

Phoebe,
I've watched you grow up on your mom's blog since 2007, and am so excited for your grand journey and adventure. We all share in the pride and joy that she feels in watching you fly to distant places, making your mark on the world. Soak it all in... every delicious moment. Happy trails!

Scoutle said...

Looking forward to following your adventures.

ErinshayWV said...

Hi Phoebe, another devoted fan of your Mom here to cheer you on your excellent adventure. I’m from your neighboring state, WV, and started my postgrad career teaching for 4 years in western NC. I look forward to following along as you flourish and blossom in your new island home. Bon voyage and Godspeed!

Michelle said...

Wow; reading all this makes me better realize what I missed out on by meeting my husband and getting engaged during college. When we graduated and got married, I knew I would need to find a job, ANY job, to support us while he started his post-grad studies in veterinary medicine. No regrets; I've never had dreams of how things should go in my "perfect future" and I think life is better lived that way. But that doesn't prevent me from reveling in others' journeys; yours is bound to be beautiful, just like you are! THANK-YOU for giving your mom permission to share your blog!

Irene said...

Hi Phoebe, I had the pleasure of meeting you (and Liam) when on a trip to Potholes and Prairies in North Dakota with you and your Mom and Dad. And I am a longtime fan of your Mom's blog so I feel like I have been watching you grow up forever.Good luck in the Canary Islands. My beloved mother and father-in-law were visitors there many years ago and I still remember how much they loved it and its inhabitants.i will be following your blog from henceforth..
Irene

Unknown said...

Hi Phoebe, we met briefly at your Mom’s Open House last month. I shared with you (as you directed me to the downstairs bathroom ��) that my daughter Amanda had recently returned from Japan. She worked as a teacher’s assistant at a Middle School teaching kids conversational English for 18 months. It was a life changing experience. I’m so looking forward to enjoying your adventures vicariously. You Go, Girl!
Debbie Bryant

Dallas D said...

Very best wishes to you! xo Dallas from Pittsburgh

CowtownGirl said...

What fun to hear about how this all went down. Took me back to my days as a senior at Miami University. Godspeed to you as you travel half way around the world and share your gifts with everyone in your path. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I will enjoy reading about it on your blog!

Michelle Poccia said...

Phoebe, I met you years ago at what I refer to as "Puffin Camp" on Hog Island. I have been following your entire family since then. (Chet Baker and Jemima included!)
WOW! You are about to embark on a very cool chapter in your life! So excited for you! The Canary Islands...dang! Score!!! Wear your sunscreen. Eat, drink and be merry. Make new friends. Communicate and document everything with this well named blog. We are all rooting for you to have the time of your life!
Enjoy all the moments and feelings. Have a blast! You've earned this! Go get whatever this is bringing to your life as you give what you're bringing to those who are awaiting your arrival! Namaste...Michelle

Dorothy said...

Hi Phoebe- What a terrific accomplishment and happy adventure you’ve got ahead of you! So looking forward to following along on your blog! Congratulations!!! PS - I was delighted to meet you and your Mom two years ago in Florida at Celery Fields. And I’ve watched you and Liam grow up on your Mom’s blog. Enjoy this time of your life!! I’m so happy for you.

Cindie Ulreich said...

I’m so excited for you, Phoebe! We haven’t met face to face, but I feel like I’ve watched you grow up through your mom’s writing. I look forward to following your adventures.

Unknown said...

Count me as another of your mom’s fans. I have always enjoyed her posts and photos of you and Liam, especially when you and he are airborne. May that spirit of joyful exuberance carry you across the ocean and stay with you throughout this and all your adventures. I’ll enjoy keeping up with your blog.

Jennifer said...

AWESOME!!! I found you via your Mom and can't wait to follow along on this great adventure!

digitalzen said...

I'll be an avid reader!

Barbara in Saint Louis said...

I am excited for your new adventure Phoebe! I have a grandson in Madison at the University of Wisconsin in Madison starting his Junior Year. He is in a science curriculum and seems to have been interested in water / conservation and ocean issues all of his life. I would like him to be able to read your blog. It is such an interesting read and I am excited that I am able to read about your adventures. Thank You, Barbara Klink

Bonnie said...

Thanks for taking us with you Phoebe. I look forward to your journey. From Hog Island to the Canaries!

dqbirdie said...

Fly beautiful Phoebe! Mama Q sends love and wishes for a grand adventure.
When we come to the place where the road and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide...
~Jackson Browne

Unknown said...

Awesome! Nothing to do now except sit back and let this beautiful new adventure unfold before your eyes. A rich life you lead. Thanks for blogging about the journey. Peace, love, and safe travels.
- Raymond VanBuskirk

Lisa Hsia said...

Phoebe— loved reading your blog and how you got here. Congratulations! I know you will relish every minute . I went on a Rockefeller fellowship after college and it changed my life. Mostly it gave me the freedom to just “be” instead of worrying about next steps. I look forward to reading all about your adventures and wish you a wonderful year!! Xo Lisa Hsia

Lisa Hsia said...

You are an outstanding mother in every way

Sara Oliver said...

Thanks for sharing the new chapter of your life with us. I look forward to more of your fine writing and interesting stories. May the road rise to meet all along this journey :)

lucyda said...

So fun reading about the beginning of this exciting adventure for you. And what tender pictures your mom recently posted of you and your soulmate,Liam. They spoke volumes. No matter how far, I will make sure you both still get some of your grandma Ida's cookies.

Wren4 said...

You are undoubtedly on a leg of your journey as I write this. You will meet fantastic people along the way, some of whom will be lifelong friends. Fare well, dear Phoebe. And tell the Canarys to stop spinning off weather events to us! ��

Robin said...

Phoebe, like so many others here, I have watched you bloom through your mom's blog. Congratulations on this exciting accomplishment! I look forward to following your adventures in the Canary Islands from my home here in north Georgia. Long may you run, dear girl!

NatureMama said...

I can't wait to watch this journey!!! MWAH! You'll do this BIG, just like everything you've ever done. I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Phoebe, I just found your blog, through a friend who follows your mom’s blog (I know, I know). My youngest daughter is waiting for the last of her medical stuff to be approved so she can start her blog as a Peace Corp Volunteer heading for Ethiopia in January, right before her 23 birthday. So much of your posts remind me of her. Thanks for letting this momma learn to breathe through your adventures so I can be supportive of hers.